Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Dinner Update: Cowboy Casserole

I royally screwed this thing up! I feel like I can't really give an accurate review of this casserole because I messed it up so badly :(

I really went wrong with the potatoes. Like I did for the previous casserole I made this week, I used fresh potatoes instead of frozen and I made this ahead of time. Two things went wrong with this. First, the freshly cut potatoes oxidized in the refrigerator and turned a purple-gray color. For someone who definitely eats with her eyes, this is no good. Second, the fresh potatoes require a longer cooking time so they are not crunchy, this took an additional 40 minutes.

I didn't add the meat the recipe calls for either (shhh don't tell my husband there was supposed to be ground beef)...I am not a vegetarian, but overall, I can do without most meats, especially ground beef.

So, there you have it. The overall taste wasn't bad, I just couldn't get over the gray potatoes. I'm a little bit weird anyway, so I am sure that contributed. I will not be making this again. I feel like even if it was done the right way, I might not be a fan.

There's always tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I understand about the visual aspect of food... totally. I tried tricking my husband too yesterday, but he figured it out :P lol I made a cabbage/ground beef soup (but used a meat substitute which is an imitation of ground beef; it saves the mess because it's already cooked and all.) Anyway, he knew it wasn't ground beef, but he said it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well it sounds like your trickery went over a bit better than mine! I'm always trying to trick my husband and son into eating healthy with me. I sneak veggies into lots of things they don't even know about! Muuuuhhhahhhh! *that's my evil laugh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle, I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! You can find the details here www.pammowerdesigns.blogspot.com

    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...