Today's mom focus: Joy
All day I have been thinking about what brings me joy as a mother. Obviously, my son's big accomplishments or awards, and the A's on his report cards. But today I wanted to focus on the more subtle, everyday things that bring me joy as a mom.
- It brings me joy to talk to my son everyday, he is growing up into such a cool person
- It brings me joy to laugh with my son over stupid things
- It brings me joy that Jasen and I have a similar weirdo sense of humor that not a lot of other people understand
- It brings me joy to come into a room and see my child reading a book
- It brings me joy to laugh with Jasen over the pre-mustache hair I spotted on him today
- It brings me joy to see my son wearing crazy, mismatched socks (our house runs on the philosophy that you are lucky to find 2 clean socks, don't worry if they match)
- It brings me joy to know that Jasen took part in the anti-bully activities at school, he is always standing up for others
Tonight was parent/teacher conferences at my son's school. The lines to speak to each teacher were long and we had to wait for several people to go ahead of us. As I was sitting there thinking, "I really wish I could hurry up and get this done", I stopped myself. I looked at Jasen, who was sitting next to me looking bored out of his mind. I laughed and told him, "You know, they won't have parent/teacher conferences when you are in college. We only have a few years left of meeting your teachers, we better enjoy it!"
Now of course he looked at me like I was insane. But it is these little moments that fly by, that we will miss as our kids grow up. Taking two hours out of a Wednesday night was more than worth my time to show my son that I care about his education I try to be the best parent I can be, and seeing my son happy is really one of the greatest joys of being a mom.
I lied and told him I was taking a picture of the dogs. He doesn't like it when I snap random photos.
I fessed up to taking this one for the blog. He happily posed to show off his crazy sock combo.